Marriage Preparation Requirements
Fr. Michael Fye
Chaplain, University Catholic
While many engaged couples focus on preparing for the wedding day, the Church encourages them to spend their engagement preparing for a strong, lifelong marriage — and the responsibilities and challenges that come with it.
- Allow for a minimum of six months for the marriage preparation process (from the first meeting with Fr. Fye to the wedding date).
- Marriage must take place in a Catholic Church. Attire should be suitable for Church.
- Couple will meet with Fr. Fye on at least three occasions for pre-marital counseling.
- First meeting (2 hours) for FOCCUS pre-marriage inventory/questionnaire*
- Second meeting (1 hour) to discuss FOCCUS inventory results
- Third meeting (1 hour) to plan wedding Mass and other detail
- Marriage Preparation Fee of $50 (payable to University Catholic) should be paid at/or before first meeting.
- Couple must attend Natural Family Planning classes. (See submenu for details)
- Couple must attend Three to Get Married Retreat. (sign up at stmarysdowntown.org)
- Rehearsal time for night before wedding must be set with Fr. Fye before scheduled (in case he has other conflict)
- Send Baptismal certificates “with notations” for each person to:
2004 Terrace Place
Nashville TN 37203
(To request your certificate, please call the parish where you were baptized)
Note: If for some reason you and your fiancé are preparing for marriage long distance, Fr. Fye suggests the following program: